Week 9 Midterm Review
PS140O: Projecting Power
- Office hours:
- Wed 4-6pm: http://calendly.com/owasow
- Texts & Films
- bcourses \(\rightarrow\) Modules \(\rightarrow\) Week
- Slides, syllabus, wiki
Essay Format: Intro
- Does the essay have a strong and clearly articulated thesis?
- Does the thesis have tension to help direct/launch the essay (e.g., with whom is this essay in conversation)?
Essay Format: Body
- Does the essay use evidence from scholarship and films to test, support and develop the thesis? (Each essay should reference at least two pieces of scholarship and two films.)
- Does the essay use relevant scholarship from the course to make the argument and analysis more persuasive and more rigorous?
Essay Format: Body continued
- When focusing on a particular film, does the essay have sustained, rigorous analysis of clearly identified short sequences? In other words, does the essay successfully engage in a “close reading” of a scene?
- Does the writer make distinct, compelling points about a representative piece of evidence? Does the writer draw out meaning from a relevant example?
Essay Format: Structure & Grammar
- Prose, Structure, Grammar
- Is the writing clear, concise, engaging, well organized, and grammatically correct?
- Does the essay reference relevant ideas and integrate them effectively?
- Does the writer introduce and conclude the argument/discussion effectively?